The Selby Hotel – 92 Sherbourne Street

The Selby Hotel is an 1880s Victorian Mansion, and was constructed in 1882-83 by David Roberts. One of the sons of the founder of the Gooderham and Worts Distillery lived on the property for some time (exact dates unknown).

Between 1900 and 1905, the property served as the Keeley Institute: “Sanitarium for the Scientific Treatment and Cure of Liquor and Drug Addiction”. In 1910, a multi-room complex was added to the mansion and it was transformed into an exclusive girl’s school called Branson Hall.

Five years later, in 1915, the property was converted into a residential hotel. Ernest Hemingway and wife Hadley lived at the hotel for a period of time in the 1920s.

At the moment, the mansion is operated by the Clarion Hotel chain, and is known as the Selby Hotel. An addition to the original building has created a total of  82 guest rooms.

 

%d bloggers like this: