February 2010

Meeting held at Wellesley Community Centre, 495 Sherbourne Street – Room B

February 3, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Brian Bagley – President, Dennis Magill – Vice President, Joni Lindsay and George Wall – Treasurer

Attendance: 9 Members

Meeting started promptly at 7:00 pm.

1. Review of Minutes

Brian Bagley distributed draft copies of the minutes from the December 2 2009. Minutes could not be approved without quorum.

2. Treasurer’s Report

Brian Bagley provided an update on the financial position of the UNJA. The account balance as of December 31 was $1,744.40. Pending expense is Prologic Web Hosting Plan for $107.40 an annual fee.

ACTION: It was suggested that Susanne Palmer may know of a volunteer who would be able to keep the UJNA website current – Brian to speak to Susanne about this.

3. Review of Action Items

Update on by-law amendments

Wayne and Brian have spoken on several occasions about the bylaws. Items of interest include Proxy Voting and possible voting vs non voting class members. Possible changes will be discussed at our next meeting in April.

ACTION: Wayne Drewry

Street Signage

Brian met with City designer and Ryan Lahr on February 1 for initial consultation. Initial mock up signs will be available for discussion at the April meeting.

4. Policing Update

Audrey Burton, UJNA Community Police Liaison Committee (CPLC) member provided a police update. In general no issues to report.

Brian reminded the group that to report issues of safety concern to the Toronto police at 416.808.2222 in order to better protect our neighbourhood. It is only once police are made aware of safety threats that they can divert attention to the require area or situation.

[51 Division contacts]

3. Update from City Hall — Ryan Lahr unable to attend, so Brian gave an update:

  • Brian Bagley is now the contact for Toronto Film Board notification to the UJNA for securing a donation in future, when filming in our area.
  • Earl and Sherbourne traffic light – the traffic volume study is still outstanding. Ryan followed up with Transportation staff, expected now by the end of April.
  • Water line replacement along Selby, Earl, Huntley have resulted in uneven asphalt. Please report any hazardous pavement to the project engineer – Niko Kalo at 416-338-5558 – or nkalo@toronto.ca. Permanent repairs will be made by the Summer.
  • There has been a request put forward to the transportation department for an installation of red light camera on north bound Jarvis at Isabella
  • Jarvis Street redevelopment – the centre lane has been removed and direction indicators to be remove street lanes will be widened.
  •  Sherbourne Street Development – the development proposal for the corner of Sherbourne and Howard is under review. The City Planner and Councillor McConnell’s office looking through the contentious issues. We will be informed of developments

5. Community Update  –>  Update from the Site Committee

Elementary Teacher’s Federation of Ontario

City Planning staff confinue to assess the application. The planner in charge, John Adreevski, advises that an community open house will be scheduled for April and his final report going to council in June. John may join us in April to provide feedback on his findings.

ACTION: Brian to confirm John’s attendance, Wayne to visit with architect

James Cooper Mansion Update

Mary Proulx said a small committee will be reinstated with interested members, their meeting will take place at 6:00 pm – in advance of the UJNA meeting.

Project still on target.

(No work occurs on statutory holidays and Sundays. Weekdays no earlier start than 7:00 am, and Saturday’s no earlier than 8:00 am)

  • Excavation: Complete
  •  Concrete: Present to Mid June 2010 – Concrete trucks, concrete finishing
  • Building Envelope: October 2009 to July 2010 – Brick façade, precast, windows
  • Internal Building: January 2010 to Fall 2011 – Deliveries for all internal elements
  •  Tentative completion: Spring 2011

If you live in the area and are inconvenienced by construction or need information about this project, contact Site Project Manager – Shawn Closs 416-972-6358, or Project Manager Adam Kaczuga 416-736-2555 x 595.

SITE COMMITTEE ACTION:

  • Revision of 2006 UJNA Vision Document – Mary and Susanne
  • Update needed about Casey House development – Mary
  • Update needed about ETFO – Wayne
  • Update about Rogers intention for Huntley Street – Wayne

Membership Statistics

  • 105 members in total (with email addresses)
  • 30 members new since 2006
  • 30 members asked to be removed since 2006
  • 30 business contacts.
Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: