June 2010

June 2nd, 2010 at 7:00 pm — Wellesley Community Centre, 495 Sherbourne Street – Room B

Brian Bagley – President, Dennis Magill – Vice President, Joni Lindsay and George Wall – Treasurer

Attendance: 17 Members plus 1 guest

Meeting started promptly at 7:00 pm. Closed at 8:30 pm

1. Review of Minutes

Brian confirmed a quorum was present and distributed draft copies of the minutes from the April 7th, requested a motion to approved moved by Mark and seconded by Chris. Minutes approved by all.

2. Treasurer’s Report

Brian provided update on the financial position of the UNJA. The account balance as of April 31 was $1,744.83, no activity since.

MOTION:   Request for approval to allow UJNA executive to approve minor expenses under $250.00.   A motion to approve by Robert, seconded Audrey, voted all in favour.

3. Review of Action Items

UJNA Website: Thanks Robert Fisher who has updated the website http://www.ujna.ca

Update on by-law amendments
Wayne and Brian have spoken on several occasions about the bylaws. Items of interest include Proxy Voting and possible voting vs non voting class members. Possible changes will be discussed at our next meeting.   ACTION: Wayne Drewry

Street Signage
Thanks to Karen Rucas who provided revisions based on last meeting, which were short listed, with final choices being presented at next meeting.

4. Policing Update

Audrey Burton, UJNA Community Police Liaison Committee (CPLC) member provided a police update. In general no issues to report.

Brian reminded the group that to report issues of safety concern to the Toronto police at 416.808.2222 in order to better protect our neighbourhood. It is only once police are made aware of safety threats that they can divert attention to the require area or situation.

51 Division Contact Information

  • Phone: 416-808-5119
  • Radio Room for non-emergency calls: 416.808.2222
  • Unit Commander: Superintendent John Tanouye, 2nd in Charge: Inspector Heinz Kuck
  • Community Response Unit Manager: Staff Sergeant Graham Queen – 416.808.5152
  • Community Relations Officer: Constable Peter Cullingford – 416.808.5108
  • Crime Prevention Officer: Constable Joseph Smith – 416.808.5187

5. Update from City Hall

1. Flier delivery – this month fliers were delivered to each home in the areas and buildings where accessible to share information with residents about the UJNA. Two new members attended as a result of this outreach.

2. Waterline replacement on Selby/Linden/Huntley – these streets are listed for resurfacing this year, expect them to be done by October. Please report any hazardous pavement to the project engineer – Niko Kalo at 416-338-5558 – or nkalo@toronto.ca.

3. Isabella and Sherbourne northbound traffic concerns by residents

a. Joe Gallippi from Transportation Deparment will send out a representative to visually review PM peak. Sherbourne is on a SCOOT system that automatically adjusts signal length, within a min/max time, according to traffic volume.

6. Community Update –> Update from the Site Committee

The 2006 UJNA Vision Document was shared at the meeting.

Mary Proulx said a small committee will be reinstated with interested members, meeting will take place at 6:30 pm – in advance of the UJNA meeting. New committee volunteers welcome.

Elementary Teacher’s Federation of Ontario

Public Consultation to be held June 10 at Wellesley Community Centre, notices sent to all property owners within 120 meters of site, plus participants from past public consultations. The City has established a website for the Elementary Teacher’s Federation of Ontario – a local area study, for 15 Huntley Street. Details of the study can be found at http://www.toronto.ca/planning/15_huntley.htm.

City Staff contacts for this project are Michael Hynes, Senior Planner 416-397-1761 mhynes@toronto.a and Christian Giles, Planner Policy and Research 416-392-0881 cgiles@toronto.ca

James Cooper Mansion Update

  • Currently pouring concrete on the 20th floor.
  • Installing windows 5&6th floors
  • Precast stone being installed on the building – is ongoing
  • Dry walling has just started
  • Rooftop floor by July 2010.

(No work occurs on statutory holidays and Sundays. Weekdays no earlier start than 7:00 am, and Saturday’s no earlier than 8:00 am)

ACTION:  Brian to send a letter regarding plans for two way traffic on the first few hundred feet of Linden.

If you live in the area and are inconvenienced by construction or need information about this project, contact Site Project Manager – Shawn Closs 416-972-6358, or Project Manager Adam Kaczuga 416-736-2555 x 595.

Huntley / Isabella intersection

  • City Planner (Michael Hynes) – not been made aware of property acquisition on the past year
  • City Hall – not been made aware of any property acquisition

Jarvis Street Redevelopment

Plans to install Jarvis Street bike lanes, as approved by Toronto City Council (sometime June or July). We will provide additional notification regarding the installation once the specifics of timing firmed up. At this time, a number of variables affect timing, including weather, G20 summit, and other project commitments.

Casey House

  • Awaiting 2nd phase approval before we can proceed to the planning stage for the new development.
  • Received 1st phase approval in 2006
  •  No change in the status of development
  • Continuing to meet Ministry of Health and the Toronto Central LHIN
  • We believe a representative will be at our next meeting.
  • The Grey Lady
  •  if approved, capital expansion plan will include the Grey Lady being renovated and featured prominently in the new building
  • have replaced the roofing and we should see the scaffolding removed from the north side of the building shortly.

North St. James Town Planning Framework

For information available at: http://www.toronto.ca/planning/stjamestown.htm.   Allison Meistrich, Senior Planner, Community Planning, Downtown Section.    Tel: 392-7363, Fax: 392-1330, email: ameistr@toronto.ca

SITE COMMITTEE ACTION:

  •  Update needed about Casey House development – Mary
  •  Update needed about ETFO – Wayne
  •  Update needed about potential school move on Linden – Mary
  • Update about Rogers intention for Huntley Street – Wayne

Membership Statistics

  • 105 members in total (with email addresses)
  • 30 members new since 2006
  • 30 members asked to be removed since 2006
  • 30 business contacts.

Upcoming meetings will be held at Wellesley Community Centre – Room B,  495 Sherbourne Street (corner of Wellesley and Sherbourne):

• September 6th, 2010 @7:00pm

%d bloggers like this: