May 2008

Meeting held at Our Lady of Lourdes

May 7th, 2008 at 7:00 pm

Chris Crane – President, Jacqueline Jordan – Vice President, Brian Bagley- Secretary/ Treasurer

Attendance: 9 Member plus 1 guest John Kennaley (MPP Office).

1. Review of Minutes

The Chair postponed review of the March 5, 2008 meeting minutes to October 1, 2008.

2. Review of Action Items

Brian Bagley noted that any action items would be dealt with in the course of the meeting.

3. Treasurer’s Report

Brian Bagley provided an update on the financial position of the UNJA. The account balance as of March 281h was $2,289.16.

4. Neighbourhood Branding

Jacqueline Jordan provided an update on member feedback with respect to the re-branding initiative. There is general agreement on the need for a brand among those who have attended meetings, submitted emails and communicated to the Executive individually. Support has been expressed for the new brand “Jarvis Estates” and there was discussion about retaining the existing name Upper Jarvis – support for both is based upon the historical legacy of the neighbourhood.

Jacqueline advised that she had reviewed the UJNA’s re-branding plans with Councillor Kyle Rae’s staff and staff from the Heritage Services and Transportation Departments of City Hall.

They provided guidance on the brand selection and street sign implementation processes.

The Chair agreed that the Executive would consider all of the feedback received to date and move forward with the decision with respect to the name. The Executive will also consider a special meeting on the topic.

Action item: Chris Crane to confirm source of funding for the signs.

5. Jarvis Street Redevelopment

A public consultation meeting was held on March 17. The update from this meeting is that the subservice review is complete. A surface level public walk will be held on May 10 to discuss the plan.

Further information on the Jarvis street development can be found at:

http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/jarvis/index.htm.

6. Update on the Community Development Projects and City Hall

Construction of the stoplight at the Corner of Jarvis intersecting Earl Place and Gloucester St has begun. Tridel (James Cooper Mansion) – The developers held a meeting in April to share information with and hear the concerns with of immediate neighbours. It was confirmed that the James Cooper Mansion will move forward on the property by early summer; excavation will take place from early summer to September. It is expected that concrete will be poured September 2008 – September 2009 and the project is scheduled for completion in 2010.

There is a proposal with the city to change the traffic flow on Linden for the first hundred metres west from Sherbourne Street to two way traffic to reduce the impact of construction traffic, on the neighbourhood.

With respect to the former Children’s Aid Society property at 15 Huntley St (CAS) ,no application has been made to the City to date, but it is expected that one will be coming in the near future.

The UJNA has been advised by the new property owners that they will be applying for a rezoning into a commercial use complex 3 – 4 stories tall. This however is not supported by the UJNA.  The Wellesley Central Residence on Sherbourne is almost complete. The building tenants will be a 50 / 50 mix of elder assisted living and people with Aids.

7. City Hall

The new recycling and garbage bin program is being rolled out across the city. Residents that are unable to participate in the bin program should approach the Waste Management Services Department of the City or contact the Councillor’s Office to negotiate alternate arrangements.

Community Council will hear the proposal for an amendment to parking rules on Huntley Street at the June 10 meeting. If approved, this will extend the permit parking by-law on a two block stretch of Huntley to 7:00 pm which is intended to reduce the impact on parking by commuters.

Residents are reminded that building permits are required for most construction work.

7. Website

The UJNA website has been reviewed, streamlined and updated.

If the fall we will table a discussion on a membership fees to help pay for items such as the website and other service we may be able to provide. Any change would also be reflected in the bylaws

Meeting adjourned at 8:40pm

%d bloggers like this: