October 2008

Meeting held at Our Lady of Lourdes

October 1st, 2008 at 7:00 pm

Chris Crane – President, Jacqueline Jordan – Vice President, Brian Bagley – Secretary / Treasurer

Attendance: 17 Members, Ryan Lahr from Kyle Rae’s office and 2 guests from BENA

1. Review of Minutes

Brian Bagley confirmed that a quorum was present and distributed draft copies of the minutes from the March 5th, 2008 and May 7th, 2008 meetings. A motion to approve both March 5th and May 7th minutes with minor amendments was made and duly seconded. A vote was held with all in favour.

2. Review of Action Items

Brian Bagley noted that action items will be dealt with in the course of the meeting.

3. Treasurer’s Report

Brian Bagley provided an update on the financial position of the UNJA. The account balance as of October 1,2008 was $1,665.23. Major expenses in the past 6 months have been website support and maintenance.

4. Membership Fees

The matter of membership fees was tabled for discussion.

Current funding for the UJNA has been comprised of revenue opportunities from local film shoots.

The purpose of the proposed membership fee is to establish new ways to raise funds. All residents will always be welcome to attend the UJNA meetings, however only paid members will be able to cast a vote.

Guidelines on the membership fees are as follows:

  • Only eligible members as described by the current by-law will be eligible to become a voting member
  • The value of the membership is the participation as a voting member
  •  Provisions will be made for financial assistance where needed at the discretion of the President
  • Membership fee to be established; those present discussed and agreed upon a $20 annual membership fee. the members at the meeting felt $20.00 was a reasonable cost
  • Membership is renewable January 1st of each year

Action items Responsibility:  Report on the practicality of proxy voting by members and Report on UJNA membership for local community businesses and organizations — Chris Crane

VOTE:  A vote was held to move forward with a membership fee. 16 members were in favour, 1 opposed.

A motion to amend UJNA by-laws to reflect membership fees was put over for approval at the December 3rd meeting – Jacqueline Jordan

5. Neighbourhood Branding

A vote was held to move forward with the brand name. There was a tie vote for Upper Jarvis and Jarvis Estates. Chris Crane, President of the UJNA, in accordance with the bylaws cast the deciding vote for ‘Upper Jarvis.’

A motion was brought from the floor to change the name of the association to match the brand.

A vote was held and the majority ruled against changing the name of the association.

6. City Developments

  • The street lights at Earl Place and Jarvis have been installed and are operational. Parking changes and better signage for Gloucester are forthcoming.
  • Follow-up Items Responsibility: Investigate traffic study for Earl Street and Sherbourne – Ryan Lahr
  • James Cooper Mansion – All traffic will be directed to enter and exit the site off Sherbourne street.
  • Grey Garbage Bins – All garbage bins are to be delivered by the end of October. If bins are not required residence have the option of receiving 26 bag tags per year, additional bag tags cost approximate $3.00 each.
  • Wellesley Magill Park – The park to have public art funded from part of Tridel’s $1MM contribution to the city. This art will be a 6 foot tall open wall sculpted images. The original planned glass was removed from the project due to the threat of vandals. The UJNA congratulated Dennis Magill on the recent honour he received from the City of Toronto in having a park named for him.
  • The hammerhead between Earl Street and Earl Place continues to be a hazard.

Follow-up Items Responsibility:  Investigate status of hammerhead improvement – Ryan Lahr

  • Noise complaints from area garbage trucks – Ryan Lahr advised that by-laws permit pickups from 7:00am to 7:00pm weekdays and from 9:00am to 7:00pm on Sundays

7.  On May 10th a walk-about was held on Jarvis between Queen and Wellesley. The Jarvis Streetscape Committee is to produce a report on their findings in November; this will be followed by a public consultation. Once council approves the plan the project will be prioritized with other city capital projects.

The UJNA supports the removal of the centre lane and does not support placement of bicycle lanes on the particular street.

8. Neighbourhood Watch

The UJNA has been recognized as the only area in 51 Division to have an active Neighbourhood Watch association.

Upcoming UNJA scheduled meeting dates:

Wednesday December 3rd @7:00, Wellesley Community Centre – Room B

Meeting was adjourned at 8:45pm

”Chris Crane” ”Brian Bagley”

Confirmed: March 4, 2009

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: