October 2012 – Minutes

Minutes – Draft


Rogers – 333 Bloor Street East

Wednesday, October 3rd 2012   7:00 pm – 9:00 pm


Brian Bagley – President, Dennis Magill – Vice President, Mary Proulx – Secretary, Chris Kowal– Treasurer


Review and approval of minutes from August 1st, 2012

Brian Bagley confirmed that a quorum was present with eighteen members, and distributed draft copies of the minutes from the August 1st, 2012

A motion was requested to approve the Aug 1st minutes. Dennis McGill moved and Carmen Kilroy seconded. Vote was held with all in favour.

Treasurer’s Report

Bank balance at this time remains unchanged since the last meeting – ($1,510.04 confirmed post meeting.)

Community Police Liaison Committee

Carol Buer provided a handout of current police and UJNA street captains, whom to call and under what circumstances. It was stated that, in the last few years, local problems seem to have been resolved because people have been calling in problems. Bob Oliver is taking lead of CPLC. Bob gave a rundown of the CPLC role. Brian reiterated the need to call in issues when they happen. For detailed CPLC information, contact ujnawatch@gmail.com

UJNA Survey

The UJNA has sent its first electronic survey to its entire distribution list.  Results are to be discussed at the December meeting. The hope is to get a broader perspective from people who aren’t usual attendants at meetings.

Sacré-Coeur School – 24 Linden Street

No official update from the current owner – Conseil scolaire de district catholique Centre-Sud. Questions were asked about the rumours of a sale. A member expressed concern about the weeds growing. Brian said that the FSCB is responsible for keeping the grounds tidy, well lit and safe. 

Community Update

  • Door to door paper distribution was a success. As a result there are new members and requests to be on email distribution list.
  • The 5th lane of Jarvis will be added in the coming weeks. A number of councilors attempted to block the removal of the bike lanes but lost the bid to do so. The cost to remove the bike lanes and re-install the 5th lane is estimated at $270,000.00. The question was posed that, if parking is reinstated on Jarvis, can the pay and display be removed from Earl, Huntley and Linden Streets, though unlikely due to loss of all parking on Sherbourne. Question asked as to whether pay and display parking will be added to Selby.
  • No update on 395 – 403 Bloor Street East – the application is still open with the city but there has been no resubmission based on the city’s feedback in 2011. Mark Chlon was noted as the contact.
  • 592 Sherbourne St (Selby Hotel) – the UJNA meet with the developer in September to review the plans.  Public consolation to be held on November 14th.  The applicant, Diamond Corp, has put an application to develop a 55 storey condo tower with a 3 store podium and townhouses along Selby. City has concerns re: height and density. Community meeting to be held Nov.15 for residents within 100m of site. Preliminary report went to Council is September.
  • Rogers Campus
    • Chris Ostiguy provided an update: there are no current plans to expand the Rogers campus in 2013 on the properties that were purchased along Huntley and Isabella.
    • Rogers will conduct minor roof repairs in the coming months.  Scaffolding around the building should be expected and a short term closure of Mt Pleasant will be required to accommodate repairs to the bridge.
    • Generators have to be tested monthly. Rogers has changed the schedule so that they won’t be tested on Sundays as a result of requests from area residents.
  • The Councillor has no formal position on the North St. James project.  Kristyn has requested that the city planner for the project conduct a shadow study and impact on the Rosedale ravine. Reiteration that the TTC infrastructure at Sherbourne station needs to be addressed.
  • There was continued discussion of the improvement of the safety of pedestrian crossing at Charles and Jarvis Streets. This intersection redevelopment has been placed on hold due to the approval of adding the 5th lane on Jarvis.
  • Parking on Wellesley Place, Homewood Ave & Lourdes Lane – the Councillor will be holding a meeting with representatives from area stakeholders and Transportation Staff to discuss proposed changes for these street in January
  • Heritage Area – guidelines on establishing the UJNA area as a Heritage Conservation District have been received from the Preservation Officer.  We are seeking volunteers to review these guidelines and report back to the UJNA. Dennis McGill talked about the benefits and disadvantages to homeowners of having an area designated Heritage. Dennis volunteered to review guidelines and report back.
  • Tenant Displacement – The UJNA has received from City Planning Policy and Research details of the rules of tenant displacement due to property redevelopment.  The finds outline the challenges a developer will encounter if an applicant requests rezoning an area from residential to commercial. It was noted that each home is considered a tenant unit and must be replaced at the time of rezoning application regardless of how long the unit has been vacant.

Other Items

  • A member brought up the development of the tower between 545 and 555 Sherbourne. Rumour has it that the tower has been approved as well as the renovation of the No Frills but no move has been made since that time.
  • Parking lot adjacent to 10 Huntley is for sale but Melissa from the Councillor`s office said that the footprint is too small for a tall tower to be built.
  • Casey House. New accessible ramp is almost completed. It was required due to water damage to the old ramp and, although all beds will be moved to the new site, the existing ramp would not have lasted another 5 years for the new facility to be built.
  • Sherbourne bike lanes currently under construction. Patching of the road surface from Bloor to Gerrard but road to be completely ground down and resurfaced from Gerrard to Lakeshore.

Follow-up request for next meeting

  • Impact the removal of bike lane on Jarvis and addition of street parking will have on the recently added Pay & Display on streets throughout are community
  • Survey results

Upcoming Meeting Dates

  • Wednesday December 5th 7:00pm – Casey House





51 Division Contact Information:

Phone to report activities: 416-808-5110

Radio Room for non-emergency calls: 416.808.2222

Emergency 911

For suspicious activity call the Community Response Unit: 416.808.5119

City of Toronto


15 Huntley


395 – 403 Bloor Street

The city planner for this development is Michael Hynes, Senior Planner, mhynes@toronto.ca telephone 416-397-1761 http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2010/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-32563.pdf

592 Sherbourne Street – Selby Hotel


North St. James Town

The planner for this development is Allison Meistrich, Senior Plannerameistr@toronto.ca telephone: 416-392-7363


South St James Town – 545, 555 and 565 Sherbourne Street


592 Sherbourne St (Selby Hotel) – The applicant, Diamond Corp has put an application to develop a 55 store town with a 3 store podium. 


Sherbourne Street Redevelopment


Ward 27 Councillor

Kristyn Wong-Tam – councillor_wongtam@toronto.ca

Rogers – Maintenance concerns

                David Avery – Rogers, Operations Manager, david.avery@rci.rogers.com 416.935.6920


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: